How Blackberry cares about the developers

This is a post about how to encourage and help developers. To provide them with the test device, to reward with money/smartphones/tablets.

It all started with this my post. I otkommentiroval Android app to Blackberry Playbook. Downloads almost was not, as I wrote in the post. But in the summer I was invited to the Blackberry 10 Jam Moscow.
The event itself was fairly well organized, separated session for html5 and native developers. Plus delicious food. The conference was given my first Blackberry Dev Alpha A.
image
Photo is not mine, because my no longer with me. The first version of the system was absolutely nepriznannaia for any use, including for tests. But after updating it is quite possible to test new applications.

In December, Blackberry started to organize a "Port-a-thon". In the first needed to be ported to BB10 to 20 games. Each gave 100 dollars, if porterhouse more than two, you get a Playbook than 5 Blackbery Dev Alpha 10 a chance to get an expenses paid trip to GDC (Game Developers Conference). I didn't really expect to get a ride, but 100 bucks it is not superfluous, Yes? In a short time managed to do that, I think, 17 applications, two of which were rejected.
A week was already Porth-A-Thon for non-game applications with similar prizes. There I have accumulated about 11 of the programs, but 5 was rejected.
In January I started to receive letters about their prizes. First, I wrote that I will receive a Blackberry Dev Alpha B and Playbook on the first Port-A-Thon:

Playbook:

image

Dev Alpha B:

image

Then came the letter that I should first 1500$ and then the$ 600 will be transferred to paypal.
Then it was about another Blackberry Dev Alpha B on the second Port-a-thon.
And at the end of the Christmas holidays, I received the following letter:

Congratulations! You have been invited to join the BlackBerry for the Game Developers Conference 2013 March 25-29, 2013 in San Francisco, California, U. S. The Game Developers Conference (GDC) is the world's largest and longest-running professionals-only game industry event.

Your Travel Package to the GDC 2013 in San Francisco, California, the U. S. will include the following:
— Lowest Roundtrip premium economy air transportation on a carrier selected by Research In Motion (RIM) from the major gateway nearest your residence to San Francisco, California
— Up to six (6) nights of accommodation in San Francisco at a hotel selected by RIM
— $2,000 USD spending money provided in person at GDC
— One (1) All Access admission to the Event


First, opening the letter, I even thought it was another spam. But I skimmed it a second time and realized what it was. I got a paid trip to the States for GDC! Yes, and a couple of Grand to cover expenses. Found it difficult to believe, but immediately realized that I need to rush RIM (it was RIM) with an invitation, etc. for the visa. By early February I was sent and I checked into the Embassy for a visa. The waiting period was a month.
During this time I have signed up for the Blackberry Dev Alpha C (and received a few days ago):
image
If anyone is interested, I use the keyboard on my phone is really convenient, although very strange at first. But I got used typing quickly and screen use not want. While touch screen applications is working fine.
All went well, but a visa to the States I was not given. Something I didn't like the thick black aunt (Oh how not politically correct) behind the glass. Blackberry has offered to move the trip to may to Orlando for Blackberry Live with preservation of all privileges. But any chance to get visa after second walkthrough I have not seen and refused, asking to reschedule for any event outside the States.

Then I had a glass figurine on the Blackberry Dev Alpha.

image

No functionality, but still nice. It says "Thank you for your application for Blackberry 10"
And now came the Blackberry Z10 Limited Edition. Red.

image

The last two parcels were brought by courier(as well as took away my Blackberry Dev Alpha A). At first used post.

Well, all devices on one photo:

image

Actually I mainly write programs for Android, but these actions drew my attention to BB10. Windows Phone in this plan loses much and is not attractive.

So, participate in contests, win. Even if you are for this platform before anything wrote.
Article based on information from habrahabr.ru

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Integration of PostgreSQL with MS SQL Server for those who want faster and deeper

Custom database queries in MODx Revolution

Parse URL in Zend Framework 2